Croatia/Hrvatska
When my sister Emily and I planned our trip to Europe, we didn't have a particular desire to go to Croatia. I think, in the end, we chose Croatia because it was the cheapest airport to fly into and it sounded like an adventure. Croatia didn't disappoint us. We spent our first day exploring the city--botanical gardens, beautiful Eastern European buildings, parks, cathedrals. Despite our jetlag and our inability to read any sign whatsoever, we thoroughly enjoyed the capital city Zagreb. However, I'm afraid the first award I must give to Croatia is....[drumroll]...
Creepiest Children Award
I admit that this award is perhaps unfair, seeing as I only interacted with one group of kids. However, if, in our short 36 hours in Croatia, the only kids we happened upon were creepy, I don't feel too awful presenting this award. Here is what happened:
Emily and I were exploring Zagreb by night--and it was amazing! Jelačić Square is right in the city center, and it's beautiful!
Afterward, we continued walking around aimlessly exploring, and happened upon a cute and quirky little playground. We enjoyed ourselves playing on the strange park toys, as exhibited here:
And that's fine. Playgrounds are for kids, and not only were my sister
and I not kids, we were foreigners. It's natural to exhibit in interest in the doings of foreigners. He and his friends were laughing and
saying things we couldn't understand, and I didn't think much of it. But as I grabbed the camera to take a picture of Emily, the little twit twerp kid sneakily came near me and then grabbed me--and I'm not talking about my elbow, my friends. I stood in shock for a second, and then, in outrage and disbelief, told Emily what had happened. That was the night Emily became a true heroine.
Because she ran after him.
We chased those little boys up stairs, across a couple pavilions, and then down some more stairs until we came upon a policewoman. And, although she spoke no English, we communicated with charades why we were chasing after a group of 10-year-old boys. It was probably a pretty amusing night for her. Thankfully, she took it from there--by which I mean she took off after those icky boys.
Hence Croatia's first award.
Despite that jarring experience on our first night, Croatia still had much to offer us. On our second day, we took a trip to Plitvička jezera--or Plitvice Lakes National Park. It was absolutely pouring rain and barely 50 degrees; not the makings of a miraculous or even enjoyable day, in my book. But even on such a cloudy, rainy day, the park was stunning.
Waterfalls both big and small, turquoise lakes, and bright green vegetation everywhere.
It's one thing for water to look this color in sparkling sunlight, but
another thing entirely to have such color on a dull, gray day.
For this, I present Croatia the award for:
Most Beautiful Freshwater Award
and
Greenest-Place-I've-Ever-Seen-In-All-My-Livelong-Days Award
I mean, look at it. Look at it again.
Amazing.
Lastly, due to the delicious breakfast I had on our departure day, I award Croatia:
Most Delicious Breakfast Pastry Award
I still think about that pastry sometimes.
I would highly recommend any of you take a jaunt over to Croatia if you have the chance. As long as you are wary of innocent-looking children and have a strong, protective sister, your experience is sure to be lovely!
No comments:
Post a Comment