"Cheerfulness, it would appear, is a matter which depends fully as much on the state of things within, as on the state of things without and around us." Charlotte Brontë

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Our Story, Part I--the Pilot Episode

A lot has to happen...and not happen...for two people to come together and fall in love.

Suffice it to say that, even though I had contemplated serving a mission as I was growing up, when 21 rolled around for me, I didn't feel impelled in that direction. I had a lot going on at the time. I never made a conscious decision not to serve a mission. I just didn't really ask.
Fast forward.
After a rough few years of somewhat self-inflicted emotional roller coaster riding, I finally decided it was time to hop off the ride and pursue something new. I knew that I wanted to further my education, and my adventurous and britophilic side told me it was time to apply for graduate school.
In the United Kingdom.
So I did. I applied to English Lit and French programs at Oxford, Cambridge, Royal Holloway, and St. Andrews. And then..

BOOM.

Seemingly out of nowhere I had a powerful sense that I needed and wanted to serve a mission. At 23? Really? But why? I prayed. I attended the temple. I fasted. I asked advice.
It all happened so fast.
After receiving a few humbling rejection letters from graduate schools, I was still waiting to hear back from St. Andrews in Scotland. It was 6 weeks before school would start, and getting everything together to move across the Atlantic--alone--in such a short time period was starting to feel daunting. And yet still tempting.
Still unsure of whether I was supposed to pursue graduate school or a mission at that point of my life, I made a very specific request of God. Essentially, I said,"If I'm supposed to go to graduate school in Scotland, let me receive an acceptance letter there. If I'm supposed to serve a mission, let me receive a rejection." 
That'll be all, thank you.
Kind of an uppity request, as I look back, but I was trying to sort out my path anyway I could.
Still nothing from St. Andrews, so I pursued a mission. And it felt good and right. My bishop emailed me the link to start my papers, and I started filling them out the same day.

BAM.

The very next day, the mailman brings me a letter from St. Andrews. An acceptance letter.

Do you feel confused? I sure did.
So what now?

More praying and counseling, that's what. I still had a desire to serve a mission, and I realized that it was my decision, ultimately. The Lord had given me both options, and He wanted me to choose.

So I chose a mission. And I felt a sense of urgency about it, for some reason. I finished my papers within a week and a half of starting them.And I prepared. I studied Preach My Gospel in English and Spanish. I memorized the First Vision account in Spanish. I attended the temple. And before long I was set apart to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, little realizing what effect that decision would have on me eternally.

To be continued...
After my endowment


1 comment:

  1. We are a goodly bunch! Continue, please--I love stories--especially yours! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete