"Cheerfulness, it would appear, is a matter which depends fully as much on the state of things within, as on the state of things without and around us." Charlotte Brontë

Monday, October 3, 2011

Whatttta weekend...

Home. Mom. Dad. Siblings. Conference Center. Temples. Talks. Food. Pajamas.
That, my friends, is a recipe for happiness.
Conference weekend is always epic. This one was no exception.
-->The post-Priesthood Session gathering at Grandma's was fantastic. Spending time with the extended family is so much fun! I spent a lot of it with little Brooklyn. She was wearing a cute sweater dress. I asked her if I could borrow it sometime. She said, "No! This dress is a 5T, and you're too big for a 5T." Also, right before we ate, I said, "Brooklyn, are you as hungry as I am?" She said, "Nooo!" as though my question was preposterous. Later in the evening, as we were cleaning up, Grandma offered me $20 if I could get my Dad home haha. She offered it to Tim and Sarah as well, the result of which was Grandma chucking $20 bills on the floor since we wouldn't take them from her. I love my family haha.
-->I got to go to Saturday Morning and Sunday Morning sessions. I pay much better attention in the Conference Center. I got so much from both of those sessions. President Monson wasn't there at the beginning of Saturday Morning session. He walked in at the end of the congregational hymn. President Eyring got up and said, "We will now have the pleasure of hearing from our beloved prophet, President Thomas S. Monson." President Monson startled, being unaware apparently that he was going to speak haha. It was pretty funny. He came up to the podium and said, "Hi!" haha I love him.
-->I felt such a general but strong love for the leaders of the Church. What amazing men! Elder Nash wasn't there Saturday, but he was on Sunday. I honestly can't do justice to the love and gratitude I feel for him. I will never forget my experience with him in Peru and Bolivia. I feel that that opportunity I was granted with him will really shape my pursuits to be Christlike and to help "the one." Also, it was fantastic to hear Brother Matt Richardson speak yesterday afternoon. He is so great. So great. I sure missed seeing Grandpa Neal up there on the stand, sitting in his chair with his chin resting on clasped hands, eyes closed, pondering. It's always fun to remark the Brethren and how their personalities are manifested even in how they sit. Elder Nelson, sitting very straight, on the edge of his chair; Elder Holland with his head back and eyes closed, pondering; Elder Oaks leaning his elbow on his chair, close to his good good friend Elder Nelson. I love those men.
-->This time, I took notes very differently. I didn't take them copiously, as I usually do. Instead, I only wrote down things when I felt inspiration. I've meant to do this for a long time, but I finally did, and it was great! I got to listen so much better, and I felt impressed about certain specific things I can do to obey the counsel I heard.
-->Elder Ardern talked about managing time wisely. Uh-oh. He talked about social media.
 I sense that some are trapped in a new time-consuming addiction; one that enslaves us to be constantly checking and sending social messages and thus giving the false impression of being busy and productive. 
Talk about a message for me specifically! So now I have some thinking to do...Do I delete facebook altogether since I struggle to use it in moderation? Or do I really apply myself to learning how to use it in moderation? The dependence I feel upon facebook is not a good thing. That much I know. So, it's time to figure out how to apply his counsel.
This Conference weekend, I also tried not to go out because I didn't want to detract from the purpose of the weekend. I don't regret my decision in the least. It was much easier to concentrate when I wasn't falling asleep from having stayed out too late.
I feel overwhelmed with gratitude for the gospel, for the opportunity to repent and improve myself through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I feel so blessed to be a member of His church.

No comments:

Post a Comment